Why not use lithium batteries when replacing old batteries with new ones? Why do most UPS power supplies now use lead-acid batteries instead of lithium batteries? According to the editor, the main reason is that the cost of lithium batteries is higher than that of lead-acid batteries. It is not acceptable. In fact, it is completely possible to replace the old battery with lithium battery, and the application range of lithium battery is becoming more and more extensive. Why does the UPS power supply do not use lithium batteries?
Batteries are traded-in, why not use lithium batteries?
Lithium batteries have many advantages, but they have not been able to be used to replace old batteries with new ones. Why? The main reason is that lithium batteries have a high cost design threshold, and it is difficult for ordinary manufacturers to replace lithium batteries.
Due to the different characteristics of lithium batteries and lead-acid batteries, different charging curves and circuits, charging equipment varies with different brands of UPS power supplies and specifications. Therefore, when the old UPS battery is used by the client, the lead-acid battery is directly replaced when the battery is replaced every year. It is almost impossible to become a lithium battery. The more difficult point is that the lead-acid battery has a voltage of 12V, and the capacity ranges from 7AH to 70AH, to 500AH or higher. Lead-acid batteries are stacked in series and parallel as required.
But the battery is replaced with a new one. The lithium battery pack has a protection board BMS that controls overshoot and overdischarge. Therefore, if the lithium battery is now stored in a lead-acid battery mode with a voltage and capacity (say 48V, 30AH) and then stacked in parallel according to the power demand of each computer room, there will be a BMS of each lithium battery pack. In the meantime, because each battery pack has different voltages and power levels, a protection condition occurs during charging or discharging and cannot be used.
The main problem of battery replacement without lithium battery UPS is the price problem, and the application range is not wide. At this stage, most of the lithium battery UPS is still used in some special projects with higher requirements, but the mainstream is the lead-acid battery UPS. After all, the price cannot be compared. . Lithium batteries are two to three times more expensive than traditional lead-acid batteries.
The UPS power supply still uses batteries instead of lithium batteries?
The price of traditional lead-acid battery UPS is low, and the service life is as long as five years, while the price of lithium battery UPS is higher, which can meet the conditions that lead-acid can’t meet, such as volume and use environment. Generally, like data centers, Special vehicles, modified vehicles, etc. are all made of lead acid without special requirements to save costs. The main problem is cost. Although the size, weight and safety are better than lead-acid batteries, if users do not have hard requirements in these aspects, they will basically prefer lead-acid batteries. After all, lithium battery UPS is still in the promotion stage.
The mainframes of most manufacturers still do not support lithium batteries, and the market share of lithium battery UPS accounts for a very small proportion of the entire UPS market. Many manufacturers are unwilling to spend too much manpower and resources to promote this, so they This leads to why the UPS battery power supply on the market uses more lead-acid batteries instead of lithium batteries.
Replacement of batteries with new ones. Is it better to use lithium batteries or lead-acid batteries?
The advantages of lithium batteries:
1. UPS battery uses lithium battery with smaller volume and lighter weight. The volume of a lithium battery is 2/3 of the volume of a lead-acid battery, and its weight is about 1/3 of the weight of a lead-acid battery. Lithium batteries of the same volume have higher capacity than lead-acid batteries.
2. Long life: Lithium iron phosphate battery pack has a longer service life under the same conditions, and the general service life is basically about 4 to 5 years.
3, fast charging: high current 2C fast charge and discharge, the battery can be fully charged within 40 minutes of 1.5C charging under the special charger.
4. Safe and reliable: Lithium iron phosphate has passed strict safety tests and will not explode even in severe collisions.
5. Green and environmental protection: In line with European RoHS regulations, it is a green battery.
6. No memory effect: it can be used as soon as it is charged, no need to discharge completely before charging.
The advantages of lead-acid batteries:
1. The price is cheap, and quite a few manufacturers choose to use lead-acid batteries in order to spend the cost on other structures of electric vehicles;
2. The concept of repairable, battery repair can extend the service life has been recognized and accepted by the majority of customers, and if it is damaged within the scope of the warranty, it can be replaced with a new one;
3, high impact resistance, strong ability to resist hits, and will not cause damage to the battery due to usual bumps;
4. The ABS resin material in lead-acid batteries has excellent thermal properties.
5. Excellent high temperature performance: The thermal peak of lithium iron phosphate battery can reach 350~500℃.
6. The service life is as long as about 10 years, and the general service life is basically about 4 to 5 years
7. Good performance: strong power, quick charge and quick release.